I know this is ridiculous, but I'm planning our next Ward Activity, two weeks away, an Adult only Murder Mystery Dinner and Dance. I have posted an announcement in the ward bulletin and last week it was announced in all auxiliaries that if people want to be a character in the Murder Mystery, they must RSVP to me by TOMORROW. There is even a really cute poster in the foyer of the church building, listing all the details, including the RSVP deadline.
So far, I have only received 2 responses. So, yesterday I painstakingly went through the ward directory online and entered all the listed emails into my address book. I then sent an email out to the 48 people I found - reminding them to RSVP to me by tomorrow.
I opened my email this morning and guess how many RSVPs I had?? ONE, and that was from my mother-in-law! My husband says, "well, I guess you'll have to cancel the event." No, we will just have a theme that has only 6 participants! Everyone else who shows up will be part of the audience and they will be able to figure out "Who Dunnit" if they want, but we can't assign parts the night of the party because each theme is configured for a certain number of participants. I planned on giving out the character and theme info to all participants later this week so they have time to get a costume together.
I know I'm complaining, but why can't people RSVP? This behavior isn't isolated to this instance...I have held many parties in the past where people do not RSVP and I have called around, left messages, had no idea how many to plan for and have had people show up that I didn't plan for. I have not always been an "RSVP-er" either, but I will vow to never do that again!!
Even though I listed this Title as "Pey Peeves", after venting about the RSVP, I don't feel compelled to list any other pet peeves. I will spare everyone my complaining today!! Thanks blog, for letting me vent!
5 comments:
We had a murder mystery party a few years ago with our ward and we had a list of characters to choose from that was passed around to everyone during the third hour. Sign up sheets always get better results because they get the paper in their hands and have more pressure to respond. Just a thought. Also, the good characters always get chosen fast, so people who wait too long get the lame ones. I am not good with RSVPs, so I can't complain when I don't hear from people.
I saw your poster today when I was cleaning the building. Several of the ladies there wished our ward would do an adult only activity. I would come if I were in your ward! If you need another body, let me know!
Wish I could come. Would gladly take a part as well, unfortunately, you know my situation. As for RSVP part, many people don't know if they come, so they just don't RSVP(baby sitter, job, anything else of that matter). An adult only date-night is a pretty demanding activity, with role-play on top of that, so many people just don't want bother... Just trying to explain a little to ease your anxiety, lady. Talking of RSVP, I haven't gotten yours for the 7th yet ;)))
Anna, I told you when I asked you what time that we were coming!! I'm sorry - I thought I made that clear...!!
Stacy, great idea, but I did pass around a sign up sheet, and had a huge poster saying to let me know and then went on the ward website and emailed everyone on there. I give up!
That's life in the activities committee!! I'm so glad I'm out!
Post a Comment