Tuesday, August 26, 2008

School started (for me) last Monday, 8/18. This is MY LAST SEMESTER!!!! I will graduate on December 6, 2008 at 2 p.m. in Mobile, Alabama with my Masters of Science in Nursing. I will then be eligible to take the certification exam for Women's Health Nurse Practitioner. As I am writing this, I cannot believe it is almost over. Thank goodness! I have to say - I have NOT enjoyed this! I am kicking myself for not doing this 5 years ago when I did not have a child. But that would've been WAY too easy and then I wouldn't appreciate this degree and realized how hard it was, right?

Then, yesterday, Andrew returned to UCF for HIS last semester. He will graduate on Monday, December 15, 2008 at 2 p.m. with his Bachelor's in Political Science - yes, that is not a type-o -- Political Science.

Also yesterday, the local community college where I am an adjunct instructor in the nursing department began yesterday. Starting next Friday, I will be doing a Psych rotation with the first year nursing students for 6 weeks at an Assisted Living facility. "What", you say? You thought I only did Labor & Delivery?? So did I! Actually, its very simple because the students are basically just there to learn how to start talking to patients. I know that might sound easy, but put a set of white scrubs on for the first time and walk up to a complete stranger in a Psych facility and see how easy it is! They are terrified the first few times! Plus, this helps them feel more at ease talking with patients when they get to actual patient care.

In addition to time spent at Lake-Sumter Community college on Fridays and online for my degree at the University of South Alabama, I am putting in about 36 hours a week at the Orange County Health Department. I am taking 10 hours of course credit (they say that that's part-time for Masters. I say NOT!) and I am required to have 240 hours of hands-on clinical time. This time, I am doing my OB rotation - finally, since I'm getting my MSN in Women's Health! Up until now, we have done primary care. So yes, if you have any questions NOT related to a vagina, I just might be able to answer them now.

So, thankfully Andrew & I AREN'T graduating on the same day because I really want to walk for my Masters and I'm forcing him to walk for his Bachelors. Now, we don't have to pick!

We have some really great weather heading our way (maybe) - Hurricane Gustav, a category I right now, heading for us or gulf coast areas. We are addicted (yes, BOTH of us) to www.intellicast.com. You can put in your local zip and it will give a current weather radar picture so we can see exactly why its raining everywhere in Clermont...except our neighborhood!

Those of you who know me well know that I say I only work so I can vacation. Well, this weekend is Labor Day and I began searching for something to do, somewhere to go, not spend too much money..., etc., etc. On every single Monday holiday, we always say we are going to DO something and guess what? We NEVER do! Instead, we spend the whole day griping that we were supposed to DO something!

What are we doing? At least 16 of us (so far!) will be tent camping (yes, in Florida, in August) at Disney's Ft. Wilderness Campground. There is a lot of (free) stuff to do there and the campsites are about $38/night and can fit up to 10 per site. So, we're gonna do it Redneck-Style and pile as many tents per campsite, up to 10 people. If the weather holds out, it should be great (HOT) fun!

1 comment:

Dana Marie said...

Wow, you're busy! Makes me tired just reading everything you do. Y'all aren't gonna know what do with yourselves once you're both done with school--it will be so awesome! Mobile is pretty close to us--maybe I can go to your graduation if I can get someone to ride with me.

I'm nervous about Gustav, too. The projected path right now has him headed straight for Louisiana!

I hear you on the Monday holidays. We usually end up either doing stuff around the house or nothing at all. Have fun camping!! I'm in Utah now--Judson's baptism is Saturday. My parents' flights were canceled so they are driving--they're crazy! Anyway, this is a loooooong comment!!