Sunday, June 14, 2009

Parenting Calamities

I don't ever remember thinking that Peyton went through the "Terrible Two's" - however, I think THREE has to be far worse than 2! I need advice from all of you moms who have already encountered these misbehaviors, or I will be bald in the next month!

She's usually VERY well behaved, until Sunday rolls around. On Sunday, we have church at 1 p.m. (her naptime) and don't get home until about 4:15 p.m. By 5:30 or 6, she has almost lost her mind - she won't listen, her normal language turns to 'whining', she throws herself around on the floor if she doesn't get her way, etc., etc. I know you all know the drill and what I'm talking about. I also realize that this misbehavior is simply because she's overly tired and can't see straight. But how do I handle it without beating the tar out of her??

Also, on any given day (including Sundays, of course), she just won't pick up her toys. I have heard people say that they have thrown away toys and I think I just may try this next. Any advice?

3 comments:

BRENTandROBIN + three said...

I defintely agree that age 3 was a rough year. Of course that was a HUGE transition year for both Dakota and I so it was a little stressful at times. It sounds like it has similarities to ya'lls situation with the new baby coming and all.

I remember asking Dakota to pick-up toys over and over with no response and finally I explained that if I had to keep asking he was going to lose them for a while. He learned that when the white trash bag came out, the toys would be gone for a while until I decided he could start earning them back. This system worked well for a while until he was "trained" to do it himself or else they would be gone.

Lori said...

That late church time is rough. What I did for Kamryn was just put her down early for a nap. Of course, she also got up early (7am or so) so it wasn't that bad. Then, I would get everything else ready and Riley and I would eat lunch and then I would get Kamryn up, feed her and get her dressed and off we went. Sometimes, she ate her lunch in the car on the way there. I don't know if this will work, but it's what we did. If she didn't nap in the morning she usaully fell asleep in the car on the way home.
As for the toys, I did what Robin did and took the toys away and they had to be earned back. Now, they aren't too bad about it.

The Hales said...

On the SUnday thing....good luck, I could not figure it out, I just lived through it. As for the toy thing, the best thing I did was give the toy to one of their friends and it never came back. And when we went to that friends house to play, it was always a reminder that they need to pick up their toys. I only have to ask once for them to pick up their toys and they do it. I also give them a time limit (3 minutes) and count down. I also know when they do not want a toy, because they leave it on the floor and tell me who to give it to. It works well in my family.